RESEARCH DATA ENGINEER (F/M/X) specialized in XML technologies
The Austrian Centre for Digital Humanities and Cultural Heritage (ACDH-CH), a research department of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW), Austria’s leading non-university research institution, is seeking a RESEARCH DATA ENGINEER (F/M/X) specialized in XML technologies (20-40h per week maternal leave).
You will join an internationally networked team, pursuing research at the intersection between information and communication technology and humanities studies. Your work will involve processing and publishing of metadata and semi-structured textual data from various humanities disciplines (history, linguistics, prosopography, literary studies amongst others), comprising representations of cultural artifacts (e.g., books, works of literature or art), as well as information about persons, places, historical events and the manifold relations between these. To get a better impression of the institute’s activities, you are invited to look at our public code repositories or some of the prototypical projects: Schnitzler Tagebuch, Auden Musulin Papers or Hanslick Online.
- Development of workflows for extracting, transforming and enriching XML-encoded texts and metadata
- Development of XML-based digital editions or applications
- Support in setting up digitization workflows according to the projects’ requirements
- Writing documentation and tests for both data and procedures
- Fluency in XML technologies (XPath, XSLT and/or XQuery; familiarity with the concepts of well-formedness and validity; experience with XML editors and tools esp. oXygen, ROMA, BaseX)
- Team player with independent working style
- Practical experience with the community (metadata) standards, esp. TEI, METS and/or LIDO
- Experience in using modern development and deployment tools (Git, Docker, GitHub Actions)
- Knowledge of digitization processes, ideally using Goobi Workflow
- Basic command of Python
- Background in the field of humanities or computer science
- An inclusive work environment in a diverse team in the heart of Vienna working in English and German
- An open communication / open-door policy
- Fascinating work with cultural heritage data in collaborative research settings
- An environment that allows to develop your skills and encourages to contribute your ideas and initiatives
- Flexible and family-friendly working hours
The initial annual gross salary is € 45.835,72 (for full-time employment) in accordance with the collective agreement for employees of the Austrian Academy of Sciences. Based on your experience and academic degree a higher salary is negotiable. The employment will start at the earliest in September 2023. Please send your application (including CV, statement of motivation and references of previous projects) by e-mail to email@example.com (mentioning Job ID: ACDH-CH070TEC223).
The Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW) pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity. Individuals from underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged to apply.