Job Offer: Professorship (W2-S) for “Historical Educational Research with a Focus on Digital Humanities” at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin and DIPF
The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Institute for Educational Sciences, of Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, and Leibniz Institute for Research and Information in Education (DIPF) invite applications for a
Professorship (W2-S) for “Historical Educational Research with a Focus on Digital Humanities”
limited to 5 years, starting as soon as possible.
Applicants should be experienced researchers in the field of German and/or transnational history of education with a focus on or documented interest in epistemological questions and methods of the Digital Humanities. The task of the successful applicant is to develop new uses of Digital Humanities in historical education research and to test and to reflect on the use of digital methods. In this way, the successful applicant will contribute to an expansion of social and cultural approaches in the historiography of education and to the formation of a digital profile in this field of research. The successful applicant will support the transformation of the Research Library for the History of Education (BBF) at DIPF into a digital research library by contributing to the institutionalization of digital research services and tools in this central institution of research infrastructure in German educational history. At the same time, the successful applicant will support the development of concepts and strategies of a “digital public history” as defined by the Leibniz Association of research institutions. Cooperation with the other departments of the DIPF and other institutions, especially those of the Leibniz Association, is expected. The successful applicant will be involved in teaching (2 SWS) in the Department of Historical Educational Research at HU. The professorship is expected to develop, apply for and manage independent project and third-party funding applications in the field of digital educational history.
- Outstanding doctorate and further publications in the history of education, history or an equivalent discipline with a focus on the history of education
- Documented commitment and academic activities/publications in the field of Digital Humanities, also in an international context
- Very good knowledge of the German and English languages, both written and spoken
- Knowledge and experience in the field of digital editions/digital indexing of archives and sources and the digital evaluation of texts and images ("distant reading"/"scalable reading", "distant viewing")
- Knowledge of other areas of the Digital Humanities is desirable, e.g. semantic web technologies, historical information science data modelling, visualization of historical data, construction of virtual research environments.
- Experience in the acquisition of third-party funding and in the management of projects or research networks.
Applicants must meet the legal requirements for professorial appointments in accordance with § 100 of the “Berliner Hochschulgesetz.”
HU is seeking to increase the proportion of women in research and teaching and specifically encourages qualified female scholars to apply. Researchers from abroad are welcome to apply. Severely disabled applicants with equivalent qualifications will be given preferential consideration. People with a migration background are specifically encouraged to apply.
Please send your application (including a publication list, a complete list of taught courses, information on both past and current research projects, and a 2-page synopsis of the research profile), quoting the reference number PR/006/21 to: Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Dean of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Prof. Kassung, Unter den Linden 6, 10099 Berlin or preferably via e-mail in one single pdf file to: email@example.com. Since we will not return your documents, please submit copies in the application only.
Please visit our website www.hu-berlin.de/stellenangebote, which gives you access to the legally binding German version.