JOB: Full-time research position at Bielefeld University
Applications invited for a full -time research position with immediate vacancy in Subproject INF of the new Collaborative Research Centre (CRC) 1288 ‘Practices of Comparison (E13 TV-L) (non-permanent position). The successful candidate will participate in the CRC Subproject INF ‘Data Infrastructure and Digital Humanities’ (section Data and Information Infrastructure). The post is located in the university library.
- to develop and provide a collaborative digital work environment for the data and information infrastructure of the entire CRC project (70%)
- to draw up technical solutions for the long-term data availability and therefore the traceability of future publications in the different research projects
- to implement tools to support research-related processes such as collaboration, standardized documentation, visualization, and data analysis
- to integrate the services to be set up in the information infrastructure of the university in cooperation with those responsible (10%)
- to plan and set up a Content Management System (CMS) for the academically relevant components of the CRC website (e.g. administration and presentation of scientific results, publications, articles, news, etc.) (20%)
Working language is German.
The successful candidate is expected:
- to hold an academic university degree in a relevant subject (e.g. computer science, computational linguistics, information technology)
- to have knowledge in the following areas: Software development and deployment (Java, PHP, Python, R)
- configuration, module development, and interface development based on existing applications and database systems administration of the Linux operating system
- relational database systems (e.g. MySQL), perhaps also repository systems
- MS further development (e.g. Drupal)
- integration of research-relevant workflows (e.g. documentation, visualization, and data analysis), web development and web services (e.g. REST), and metadata exchange formats (TEI standard, JSON)
- to have basic knowledge in research data management and text mining
- to be interested in organizing and designing the content of workshops on data management and digital methods (tutorials, hands-on, etc.)
- to be interested in the further development of research methodology in the field of the humanities (Digital Humanities)
- to demonstrate team spirit and a collaborative approach to research
The successful candidate should preferably:
- have experience in cooperating with researchers and working with their data – preferably from the service perspective
- have profound knowledge and experience in the development of scientific applications.
Salary will be paid according to Remuneration level 13 of the Wage Agreement for Public Service in the Federal States (TV-L). In accordance with § 14 (1) paragraph 1 of the German Part-Time and Temporary Employment Act), the contract will end on December 31, 2020.
In principle, the proportion of a full-time position designated in this contract may be reduced on request, as long as this does not conflict with official needs.
Bielefeld University is particularly committed to the career development of its employees. It offers attractive internal and external training and further training programmes. Employees have the opportunity to use a variety of health, counselling, and prevention programmes. Bielefeld University places great importance on a work–family balance for all its employees.
For full consideration, your application should be received via either post or email (a single PDF document sent to email@example.com) by the 5th of February 2017. Please mark your application with the identification code wiss16066. We request a letter of motivation in addition to the usual documents. Please do not use application portfolios and send only photocopies of original documents because all application materials will be destroyed at the end of the selection procedure.
Further information on Bielefeld University can be found on our homepage.
Postal Address Universität Bielefeld SFB 1288
Frau Sabrina Timmer
P.O. Box: 10 01 31 33501 Bielefeld Germany
Name: Dr. Johanna Vompras Phone: (+49) 0521 106-2694
Bielefeld University has received a number of awards for its achievements in the provision of equal opportunity and has been recognized as a family friendly university. The University welcomes applications from women. This is particularly true with regard both to academic and technical posts as well as positions in Information Technology and Trades and Craft.
Applications are handled according to the provisions of the state equal opportunity statutes. Applications from suitably qualified handicapped and severely handicapped persons are explicitly encouraged.