CfP: International Workshop on "Semantic Digital Archives"
International Workshop on "Semantic Digital Archives - sustainable long-term curation perspectives of Cultural Heritage" to be held as part of the 15th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Digital Libraries (TPDL).
29.09.2011 in Berlin
The Semantic Digital Archives Workshop aims at promoting and discussing sophisticated knowledge representation and knowledge management solutions specifically designed for improving Archival Information Systems.
Over the past couple of decades, digitally created content has come to permeate all aspects of our lives and the life cycle of these objects is increasingly exclusively digital. Therefore, sustainable long-term curation perspectives for our digital cultural heritage are essential.
Digital content poses many socio-cultural and technological challenges which create obstacles to long-term or indefinite preservation. Changing technologies and shifting user communities as well as the increasing complexity of digital content being enriched with software and multimedia attachments are only a few examples. Dealing with these challenges is the central theme of the workshop.
This full day workshop is an exciting opportunity for collaboration and cross-fertilization between the Digital Libraries, the Digital Archives and the Semantic Web community. It specifically encourages closer dialogue between the technical oriented communities and researchers from the (digital) humanities and social sciences as well as cultural heritage institutions.
Topics of interest
We intend to have an open discussion on topics related to the general subject of Semantic Digital Archives. The following list of topics is meant as an initial guide.
Hence, we welcome contributions that focus on, but are not limited to:
* ontologies and linked data for digital archives and digital libraries,
e.g. semantic extensions of common knowledge models of the digital archiving
and digital libraries domain, e.g. METS, EAD, PREMIS, ...
* ontologies and (semantic) web services implementing the OAIS standard
* theoretical and practical archiving frameworks extending or replacing the
* logical theories for digital archives
* implementations and evaluations of digital archives
* semantic or logical provenance models for digital archives or digital
* information integration/semantic ingest (e.g. from digital libraries)
* trust for ingest and data security/integrity check for long-term storage
of archival records
* semantic search and semantic information retrieval in digital archives and
* visualization and exploration of digital content (stored or to be stored
in a digital archive)
* semantic extensions of emulation/virtualization methodologies tailored for
* migration strategies based on semantic (web) technologies
* semantic long-term storage and hardware organization tailored for AIS
* (empirical) studies evaluating end-user needs and its evolution as well as
information seeking behaviour of end-user needs and its evolution
* knowledge evolution
Authors are invited to submit original, unpublished research papers related to the aforementioned topics. We invite:
* regular papers (10 to 12 pages)
* short papers (4 to 6 pages)
All submissions are required to be in pdf format. Long and short paper submissions should be in the Springer's LNCS format.
Submissions are to be made via the submission web site:
Submissions will be reviewed by the three members of the Program Committee. All papers accepted at the Semantic Digital Archives Workshop must be presented during the Workshop by a SDA Workshop registered participant. All papers will be published in workshop proceedings, which will be available as a separate publication after the Workshop
* Acceptance Notification: 30. July 2011 * Camera-ready Papers: 20. August 2011 ORGANIZING COMMITTEE & PROGRAM COMMITTEE
* Deadline for Submissions: 30 June 2011
The Organizing Committee members and the Program Committee members are mentioned at: http://sda2011.dke-research.
* Acceptance Notification: 30. July 2011
* Camera-ready Papers: 20. August 2011
ORGANIZING COMMITTEE & PROGRAM COMMITTEE