Digital Humanities 2012 - Call for Student Assistant Bursaries - Deadline extended
Hosted by University of Hamburg, 16-22 July 2012
Application deadline: March 25, 2012 (Midnight GMT)
I. General Information
The student assistant bursary scheme is designed to enable up to 12 international students to participate in the Digital Humanities conference 2012 at the University of Hamburg (July 16-20). In order to provide a well-balanced allocation, the bursaries will be awarded to three students from North America/UK, three from Europe (excluding Germany/UK), three from Middle/South America and three from Australia, Asia and Africa.
Successful applicants will be required to support the running of the conference for four and a half hours each day, but will otherwise be free to participate free of charge in all conference sessions and receptions. Each international student assistant will form a team with a local Hamburg student.
Students from Europe (including UK) receive 400 €, students from North, Middle and South America 800 € and students from Australia/Asia/Africa 1000 € to cover travel expenses (flight/train and accommodation). Flight/train and accommodation have to be booked by the student but a list of accommodation recommendations will be provided by the local organizers.
Furthermore, the conference registration is free.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Student (preferably Master) at a higher education institution
- Minimum age: 21 years
- Excellent command of English and one more additional language
- Communicative and reliable
- Interest in the field of Digital Humanities (has to be explained in a short text, not more than 3000 characters)
- Basic technical knowledge (computer, internet, projector, etc.)
- Previous experience /basic knowledge in either of the following fields:
- Text production (journalism), blogging, tweeting on Twitter, or
- Filming/Editing for video blogs
Student assistants will have to
- take part in a pre-conference training session on 15 July 2012
- undertake a four-hour and a half shift each day of the conference (July 16-20), following a schedule that will be explained during the pre-conference training session
Student assistants will be asked to carry out the following tasks:
- Assist in the conference registration/reception area, providing information to delegates, answering questions, directing delegates to conference venues, etc.
- Be in attendance and take responsibility for a room in which a conference session is taking place, setting up equipment, and summoning technical help, etc.
- Document sessions: Filming sessions, blogging and tweeting on Twitter about them, recording interviews with conference presenters and delegates, etc.
V. Application procedure
The deadline for submitting the application is March 25, 2012. Applicants will be notified of acceptance by April 15, 2012.
If you would like to apply for a student assistant bursary for the Digital Humanities conference, please register via ConfTool at: https://secure.digitalhumanities.org/
After having set up an account, please login.
- Select “Your Submissions” from the menu.
- Select “Conference Assistant Bursary” from the bottom of the page.
- You are asked to submit an abstract. Please fill in “Application for Student assistant bursary” as “Title of Contribution” and submit your “Letter of Motivation” (not more than 3000 characters) as “Abstract”. Click “Proceed”.
- Load up your Letter of Motivation (PDF format, not more than 3000 characters) as “1st file”, your CV as “2nd file”. Required information for CV is: Sex, date of birth, home address, nationality, academic affiliation (university courses etc.), previous DH and job experiences, emergency contact person.
- Click “Upload File(s) and Complete Submission” at the bottom of the page.
If you have any questions concerning this procedure, please send an email to dh2012[at]uni-hamburg.de.
In case you live in a country whose citizens require a visa to enter Germany, please note that it will be your responsibility to obtain the visa documents in time. You can find a list of visa requirements for Germany here: http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/EN/EinreiseUndAufenthalt/StaatenlisteVisumpflicht_node.html
Digital Humanities Conference 2012
University of Hamburg
Fachbereich Sprache, Literatur und Medien I
Institut für Germanistik II
20146 Hamburg, Germany